+44 204 519 9951


+1(437) 2667775


+234 7047130000

J1 Visa

A J-1 Visa is typically used by foreign visitors to enter the US not on a permanent basis but for cultural exchange purposes or education. Those who take part in the Exchange Visitor Program are anticipated to return to their own countries to make use of expertise that they obtain while in the United States.

J-1 Visa includes students from educational institutes who are graduates with considerable economic support from an independent source that include eighteen months of job consent, up to thirty-six months for post-docs, higher education students occupied with vacation work and travel, higher education students which include 1-year international exchange program, short- term intellectuals which is for six months maximum.


  • Primary and secondary school teachers for a maximum of 3 years.
  • There may not be any time track for professors and research scholars though nowadays it is five years. Other professionals coming to teach important skills for a period of one year are also eligible.
  • Camp mentors must be of eighteen years of age and they can stay up to four months per year, but there is no limit on the number of years.
  • Doctors pledged in graduate medical education need to be supported by the Educational Commission on international Medical graduates.
  • Guests invited by the state department for one year, guests invited by domestic, state or regional government organizations for the period of eighteen months.
  • Learner in a particular area of endeavour that is eighteen months maximum, except twenty-four months for flight instructors.
  • For the au pairs (integrating college degree and child care, it is for one year and may be extended for next year).


J-1 Visa holders must be supported by an individual exchange program or government organization agreed by the state department. The success in using J-1 Visa lies in discovering the sponsor/supporter that is good for you. A lot of supporters/sponsors can permit you to do a job for a 3rd party boss, and that is not itself an exchange program.


Children and Spouses that join J-1 Visa applicants–

Children under the age of twenty-one year and/or spouses who want to join the main J-1 Visa holder to the United States need to acquire derivative J-Visa. The process for the application is exactly like that of the main visa applicant.

The supporter/sponsor must agree to the backing of the spouse and/or children and issue each family member a form DS-2019 too. All family members joining the main applicant must show that they have enough available funds to meet their expenses while staying in the United States.

Family members (spouse and children) joining the J-1 visa holder may study in the United States, but they are not allowed to work during the main applicant exchange period. J-2 Visa applicants may appeal to the United States citizenship and immigration services for work permission.


Immigration guidance

Each step requires proper attention and knowledge, so it is advisable to seek professional guidance and reach your goal.


Trust Straight Visas for your US J-1 Visa issues!

Book a Consultation with our Immigration Lawyers Now

Stay in touch

Sign up to receive immigration news and updates from us – tailored just for you

Get in touch


7 Bell Yard

+44 204 519 9951


Midsummer Court 314 
Central Milton Keynes,
Milton Keynes

+44 204 519 9951


12613 Kennedy Road
Caledon Ontario

+1(437) 2667775




Blakewood Court

Orchid Road


+234 7047130000

Copyright 2022 – Straight Visas Immigration – All Rights Reserved.

Straight Visas Consultation Service