UK Global Talent Visa has replaced the popular UK Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa with effect from 20th Feb 2020. This UK Visa category is meant for attracting leaders or those who are emerging as leaders in different fields and willing to come to the UK.
Eligibility conditions for UK Global Talent Visa:
Following can make an application for UK Global Talent visa provided you are working already in the qualifying sector and also have got endorsement –
- As being a recognized leader (having exceptional talent)
- As being a fast emerging leader (possessing exceptional promise)
- Under the option of the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder.
In addition, you must hail from outside the EEA (European Economic Area) and Switzerland.
Remember, your application is going to be reviewed by an endorsing body associated with your qualifying area/field.
List of Endorsing Bodies:
- The Royal Academy of Engineering (meant for engineering)
- The Royal Society (meant for medicine and science)
- Tech Nation (meant for digital technology)
- The British Academy (meant for humanities)
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) (meant for research applicants)
- Arts Council England (meant for arts and culture)
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)meant for Architecture
- British Fashion Council (meant for fashion)
- Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT), (meant for film & television).
Which documents are needed for making the UK Global visa application?
- Your current and valid passport/other travel identity document
- Test results of your tuberculosis if you belong from a nation where such tests are mandatory;
You shall also have to furnish a translation (duly certified) of documents in a language other English or Welsh.
Application for UK Global Talent Visa (from outside the UK)
You can make an application for UK Global Talent Visa online with the only exception being if you are making an application from North Korea.
Moreover, you can also submit an application for UK Global Talent Visa at any visa application centre. The only conditions are—
- The concerned visa centre must be accepting such applications;
- The nation from which you are applying must have given you the authority to stay there for not less than six months.
Some of the other few things you need to bear in mind are:
- You will be required to have your photograph and fingerprints taken at the centre for making a visa application for the purpose of getting a biometric residence permit;
- You shall have to receive your biometric resident permit in 10 days period of your agreed date of arrival in the UK (although you may arrive at any later date).
Is it possible to switch to Global Talent Visa from any other UK visa category?
Yes, switch to Global Talent Visa is available by making an application for the same provided you are in the UK on any of the following categories of UK visa—
- UK Tier 1
- UK Tier 2
- UK Tier 5
(Temporary worker—govt. permitted exchange) on any exchange program for sponsored researchers
- UK Start-up Visa
- UK Innovator Visa
You may decide for how much time you wish to make an application for. However, the maximum period of stay in the UK is not more than 5 years. Meanwhile, you must be ready for paying the healthcare surcharge for the time you decide to stay in the UK.
However, if you are in any other UK visa category, then you shall have to move out of the UK and apply from overseas. To get an endorsement, you will apply to the concerned or related endorsement body. Normally, the decision is given in a period of 8 weeks after making an application.
Meanwhile, a faster decision is possible in the following conditions
- If you have a specialization in digital technology and you have been given acceptance onto a certified UK accelerator scheme.
- If you are a senior researcher/senior academic researcher at any UK college/university/research institute (see if your role has eligibility)
- If you have peer-reviewed fellowship (which is approved)
- If you shall be working in/for any duly approved UK research organization, making significant contributions to work assisted by any research award/grant from any endorsed funder who is approved.
The Process to apply for Switching to Global Talent Visa
You have to submit an application online for switching to Global Talent Visa. Within three months of the receipt of your endorsement letter from the UK Home Office, you will have to apply online.
Apply for the Visa and Endorsement simultaneously
Yes, you have the facility of applying for Global Visa (switching to Global Visa) as well as applying for endorsement simultaneously at the same time. However, make sure to apply to switch your visa before your present UK visa gets expired since your application for endorsement will not provide you with a right to extend your stay.
Giving biometric details and other related documents:
You will have to give your biometric details (your photograph and fingerprints) at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services service centre
So, as proof of your biometric details, you shall be required to submit supporting documents by:
- Getting them scanned at your respective UKVCAS appointment centre;
- Uploading the same online.
Remember, while you are waiting to receive a decision about your UK Global Visa, you are not allowed to move outside the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or Ireland. Doing so will lead to the withdrawal of your application.
Fee details for applying to Stage 1(applying to get endorsement) and Stage 2(applying to switch):
|For whom you are applying
|Stage 1 (Get Endorsed)
|Stage 2 (Switching)
|Yourself (belong to Turkey/Macedonia)
Healthcare surcharge (tax):
You have to pay for the healthcare tax as part and parcel of your visa application.
Applying for a switch in the UK:
An amount of £19.20 will be required to be paid for getting your biometric data taken.
Normally, your visa shall be delivered to you within 8 weeks. Meanwhile, in case of any complexity or delays in your visa, you may be contacted in the following cases—
- In case, your accompanying supporting documents require verification;
- If you are required to attend an interview;
- If you have any criminal conviction or such other related issues.