+44 204 519 9951


+1(437) 2667775


+234 7047130000

UK General Student Visa (Tier 4)

To study in the UK, you need to apply for a UK General Student Visa (Tier 4). However, you must be aged at least 16 years or more to become eligible to apply for this UK student visa. Let us see the eligibility conditions for UK Tier 4 General Student visa here:


Eligibility for UK Tier 4 General Student Visa

  • You should be offered a place on a study course;
  • You must be able to read, understand, write and speak English;
  • You need to have sufficient funds to support your stay and make payment of your study course in the UK;
  • You should be from a nation not included in the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland;
  • You must fulfil other conditions of eligibility as well.


Knowledge of English for UK General Student Visa

While making an application for this UK visa, you have to provide evidence of your knowledge of English. Normally, you have to show proof of having passed a SELT (Secure English Language Test) in reading, listening, speaking, and writing.


What are the documents to be provided while applying for UK General Student Visa (Tier 4)?

You have to provide the following along with your visa application—

  • Your current and valid passport/other travel documents;
  • Evidence of your ability to support your stay and payment for your study course;
  • If you are below 18 years, then you need to show evidence of your relationship with your guardian/parent;
  • If you are from any nation which requires you to undergo tuberculosis test, then you will have to give tuberculosis test results with your application.

Apart from the above-mentioned documents, you might be asked to furnish any other details or documents.


Applying for the UK General Student Visa (Tier 4) outside the UK

 You have to make an application for this UK visa online. You shall be required to get your photograph and fingerprints done at any visa application centre for your application. It is your responsibility to take the biometric residence permit in a period of 10 days of the time stated by you of your arrival in the UK although your arrival might be late.


What are the fees for making an application for UK General Student Visa?

If you are outside the UK, you have to pay £348 for making an application for UK General Student visa. In addition, if there are any dependents as well coming along with you, then you shall have to pay £348 for each of such dependents.  


For how much duration you can live in the UK on a UK General Student Visa?

You are allowed to come to the UK before the beginning of your study course. However, you need to note that you are allowed to come to the UK up to—

  • One month prior to the start of your study course, if the course duration exceeds six months;
  • One week before the start of your study course, if the course duration is less than or equal to six months.

Meanwhile, the time period for which you can continue your stay in the UK is entirely dependent on the type of study course opted by you and what education has been completed by you already.


Extension and/or Switch to UK General Student Visa

Extension of your UK General Student Visa (Tier 4)

Extension of your UK visa is possible for studying a new course or continuing your current course. For this, you have to fulfil the following conditions—

  • You have to be present in the UK;
  • You have to fulfil various eligibility conditions of UK General student visa;
  • You need to have any sponsor.


Who can offer you sponsorship?

You are allowed to make an application for extension of your visa if your present sponsor happens to be any of the following—

  • Any higher education institute (HEI);
  • Any higher education institute overseas;
  • Any independent school;
  • Any college (embedded) that is providing pathway study courses.

You should not forget to include in your application any dependents provided they happen to be present on your current UK visa. This includes dependent children who are of 18 years of age during the period of your UK stay.


Switch or Change to UK General Student Visa (Tier 4) from within the UK

See, you are allowed to switch from the following UK visa categories to UK General Student Visa—

  • UK Tier 2(Minister of Religion)
  • UK Tier 2(General)
  • UK Tier 2(Intra-company transfer)
  • UK Tier 4(child)


When can you apply for Extension or Switch to this visa?

     You can make an application for extension—

  • Within a period of six months of receiving a CAS (Confirmation of acceptance for studies);
  • Before the expiry of your current UK general student visa. However, this period should exceed three months before the starting date of your study course mentioned on the CAS.

Meanwhile, you are allowed to remain in the UK until a decision is received.


Fees for Extension or Switch to this visa

   You have to make a payment for extension of UK General Student Visa—

  • £475 for extension of your visa;
  • £19.20 for getting your biometric details done;
  • A surcharge for your healthcare

You shall get a decision within  of 8 weeks using the standard visa services. Meanwhile, you can receive a decision in as early as 5 working days by making an additional payment of £500. This payment is for availing priority processing service.

Moreover, if you are ready to pay £800, you will be getting the decision regarding your visa processing next day (that is, the next working day) that falls after your biometrics details have been provided. However, if your appointment is stated to be held on a weekend, then under the super-priority service, it will take just 2 working days once your biometric details have been provided.


What can I do in the UK while being on a UK General Student visa?

You are allowed to do the following:

  • You can study in the UK
  • You can work in the majority of jobs in the UK but it depends entirely on the level of course you are currently in and the type of sponsor you are having presently.
  • You can make an application from outside or inside the UK
  • You are allowed to work in the UK as a student union sabbatical official
  • You are also allowed to make an application for extension of your stay here.


What can I not do in the UK while being on a UK General Student visa?—

You are not allowed to do any of the following in the UK—you can not

  • Pursue a study course at any local school funded by an authority or at an academy;
  • work as a sports coach, professional sportsmen/sportswoman, other related jobs


So, after knowing the various details of UK General Student Visa (Tier 4) application process, you can contact Straight Visas and proceed to apply for the visa at the earliest!

Book a Consultation with our Immigration Lawyers Now

Stay in touch

Sign up to receive immigration news and updates from us – tailored just for you

Get in touch


7 Bell Yard

+44 204 519 9951


Midsummer Court 314 
Central Milton Keynes,
Milton Keynes

+44 204 519 9951


12613 Kennedy Road
Caledon Ontario

+1(437) 2667775




Blakewood Court

Orchid Road


+234 7047130000

Copyright 2022 – Straight Visas Immigration – All Rights Reserved.

Straight Visas Consultation Service