The UK happens to be one of the exotic destinations for foreigners wanting to come and live in the UK along with their family. Of course, who would not love to lead a high quality and better way of life? So, if you too are desirous of immigrating to the UK and live happily with your family; then apply for UK Family visa and begin a new life ahead. For that, you have to undertake various formalities for UK family visa application process. Let us see the details here and now.
Here we go
Applying for a UK Family Visa (from outside the UK)
You can make an application for UK Family Visa from outside the UK.
By doing so, you can easily live in the UK with:
- Your spouse/partner living in the UK;
- Your fiancé/fiancée/civil partner(proposed);
- Your parents living in the UK;
- Your child or children living in the UK;
- Any relative who is in the UK and wants to offer long-time care.
UK Family Visas; Applying for Extension
If you are in the UK already and had come to the UK on UK Family visa, then you are allowed to seek an extension of your UK Family visa from within the UK.
Switch to UK Family Visa:
Moreover, if you had been in the UK on any other UK visa (not on UK Family Visa), you are still permitted to switch to a UK Family Visa to live with your spouse/partner/parent/child living in the UK.
Applying based on your personal life
Are you living in the UK already? Great. Then you can make an application for switching or extension of your UK Family visa. For this, you shall have to fulfill following conditions:
You shall have to give a proof that you
- Are below 18 years and you have been living in the UK for not less than 7 years. Hence, it would not be reasonable for you to move out of the UK;
- Are aged between 18 and 24 and you had been living in the UK for around half of your life continuously;
- Are 18 or above and have been in the UK for less than two decades. So, you shall face several problems while living in any other nation since you are not having proficiency or knowledge of the language spoken in other nations as you were not able to learn their language.
- Are 25 years of age or above and you have lived continuously in the UK for around 20 years or so.
Members of your family are permitted to apply on the application on which you are applying and the UK immigration authorities shall consider your application separately.
What is the Application process to stay in the UK based on your personal life or Family Life?
You can make an application to continue staying in the UK as a partner, family member, or child of—
- UK citizen;
- Individual settled already in the UK (having an indefinite leave to enter or stay in the UK);
- Individual who has either humanitarian protection or refugee leave in the UK.
Applicants for fee waiver shall have to duly complete a request for fee waiver online.
Application as a child:
You can make an application to keep remaining in the UK as a child of your parent in the UK subject to following conditions:
- Your parent should have been provided leave to either enter or remain as a parent or partner of any individual who is present and already settled in the UK; or
- You are making an application to stay in the UK with any individual who has a leave to remain in the UK based on their private or family life; or
- You can make an application in case of any compelling circumstances for keep staying in the UK and there are requisite arrangements for your care in the UK.
Application as a Parent:
You are permitted to make an application to keep staying in the UK as a parent of a child who is already living in the UK provided your child is already—
- A UK citizen;
- Settled in the UK (with an indefinite to leave or enter or remain in the UK)
If your child has been living continuously in the UK for a period of not less than 7 years, then you can make an application. Meanwhile, your child has to fulfill the following—
- He or she must be below 18 years on the application date; or
- He or she must be below 18 years when you got your first entry clearance/leave to remain in the UK as their parent and also has not made an independent family unit/leading a life independently.
When to apply for Extension or Switch?
You are allowed to seek an extension or make a switch your visa before the expiry of your current visa. You have to stay in the UK for some time before getting eligibility for settlement in the UK (i.e. an ‘indefinite leave to remain’). Meanwhile, if you are applying to get extension of your visa for staying with the same member of your family, then, you shall be getting a maximum of 28 days remaining on your present stay adding to your new UK visa.
Now, let us see the fees you have to pay depending upon how you are applying-
|How you are applying||Apply outside the UK||Apply in the UK|
|Each dependent added to your application||£1,523 each||£1,033|
|Adult who must be cared by relative||£3,250||£1,033|
Biometric information Costs for Extension or Switch in the UK?
Yes, to make an application to switch or extend in the UK, you shall have to pay £19.20 for getting your biometric details taken (including photo and fingerprints).
Want a fast decision on your UK Visa application? Pay More
To get a faster decision on your UK Visa application, you have to make an extra payment of £800 for getting Super Priority Service. However, such a service is not available for those making an application as an adult in the UK for getting care by any relative already in the UK.
How much time does it take?
Well, normally, you can expect to get a decision with a period of 12 weeks if you are applying outside the UK. For those applying from outside the UK, it normally takes around 8 weeks to receive the decision.
In case of Super Priority Services, you get a decision—
- In 2 working days after you provide your biometric details and if your appointment is on any weekend;
- If your appointment is on any weekday, then next working day after you furnish all the biometrics details.
Are there any other instances when you can stay in the UK?
Yes, in following case, you are allowed to stay in the UK by making an application for the same.
- If your partner has died or you have been a domestic abuse victim;
- If member of your family(partner/parent) has humanitarian protection or refugee status;
- If member of your family is from Switzerland or EEA, then you can make an application for a family permit from outside the UK(meanwhile, after 30th June, 2021, your family member shall have to make an application to the EU Settlement scheme to remain living in the UK);
In which circumstances, you are not allowed to get a UK Family Visa?
In certain circumstances, you are not permitted to make an application to get a UK Family Visa, or Switch to UK Family Visa:
- If a member of your family has a UK student visa or UK Work visa. Meanwhile, you may make an application to live with them as a dependent.
- If your Visitor visa or any other visa is of six months duration or less than six months. As you know, you shall have to move out of the UK to make an application for UK Family Visa if your visa/visitor visa is for six months or less.
Nonetheless, you can switch to a UK Family visa within the UK provided you fulfill the following conditions:
- You possess a family visa(of six month duration) as a fiancé/fiancée/proposed civil partner; or
- You have been permitted to keep staying in the UK as a result of a divorce case or family court case.